Thursday, October 9, 2008

Jay's Pickled Green Tomato Recipe






Yesterday was a busy day - part of what included pickling - utilizing Jay's famous recipe for Pickled Green Tomatoes. Please see the recipe below - we had a bumper crop of tomatoes this year - in addition Jay made green tomato relish and a beautiful green tomato pie.

Ingredients:

Green Tomatoes
2 Quarts Boiling Water - may vary depending on the amount of tomatoes you use
1 Quart Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Cup Kosher or Pickling Salt
1 Teaspoon Mixed Pickling Spices for each Jar
Dill - to your taste

Prepare your jars and lids by boiling in water. Separately bring your pickling water to a boil and add the vinegar and salt, boil for five minutes.

Place one clove garlic, bunch of dill and spices into the bottom of each jar.

Pierce tomatoes with fork and pack in jars. Place one clove of garlic and dill on top. Fill jar with boiling liquid and seal.

Patiently stand by for six weeks - thereafter open and enjoy… YUMMMM

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Alvin - Didn't notice the blog until now. A bumper crop of tomatoes? That reminds me of the good old days in New Mexico!

alexandra's kitchen said...

These sound awesome! I love fried green tomatoes, and one summer, when none of my tomatoes turned red, I made batch after batch of FGT. I wish I had known I could pickle them!