Thursday, March 22, 2012

Flat-bread Recipe - AKA Brele -

This Flat-bread recipe was handed down from my Grandma Frances, to my mom (Alice) and today I had the privilege of having it given to me.  It was a bumpy start and we almost rescheduled - but in the end with a little patience it happened.

I grew up snacking on this bread while visiting "mom-mom" in my youth, and later when I was older at my moms. It makes an excellent accompaniment to most any meal I have had it with. But it especially pairs well with SW Pinto Beans and Red Chile. But really - its use is endless in any cooks imagination (home or otherwise).

As my mother was walking out the door - I told her that I was going to share it on the internet for all the GLOBE to see - she looked back at me and said OH whatever..... That's my mom - I ADORE her!

BRELE - (what it means and why we call it that - none of us know, hope you enjoy as much as moi)

5 Cups of Flower (Sifted)
3 Tablespoons Baking Powder
3 Teaspoons of Salt (or to taste)
1 Cup of Shortening
2 Cups of Water

Pre-Heat oven to 375F - Sift and mix all the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Create a small well in the center of the dry ingredients and add about half of the water and dough (my mom dough's with her hands) - her method was to work the dough in the well until it reached a doughy consistency and then removed it to another bowl. She then added the rest of the water to the remaining dry ingredients and dough that to completion. Thereafter make rounds of about your palm size or larger and roll out to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness. Place on cookie sheet (in my case I utilized my pizza round stones) and baked for 30 to 40 minutes, until light brown top and bottom (we flipped them mid way for even brownness). After cool store in an air tight baggy. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!















No comments: